Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Salt Walther Racing Blog



This blog is here to share racing driver Salt Walther and Indianapolis 500 style racing stories. We will share information, stories and more on the late racing driver. We will also be updating you on a DVD and book that will be coming out in the future and where you can purchase a  copy. 

You are welcome to share you stories and memories about Salt or Indy in general. Please be respectful (I will take down any negative comments).

About me -- I grew up just outside of Indianapolis and my first trip to the track was 1968. It was an eventful first time as driver Chuck Rodee hit the wall in front of us in turn 1 and was killed. My father took us to pole day as they used to call from then until I left for the Air Force in 1975. Mr. Rodee was not the only fatality I witness as Art Pollard hit  the wall in front us, Jim Malloy was killed in turn 3 and Gordon Smiley accident occurred while we were in attendance. I have been a life long Indy 500 fan and still listen to it on the radio instead of watching it on TV. Remember we didn't get to see the race on TV until after it was over with, so radio was it. 

I met Salt's long time friend here in Dayton who introduced me to Salt in 2012. We discussed Indy for over an hour.  We are collaborating on Salt's memorabilia and future items of interest.   The book to which Salt was involved with until his unexpected passing in December will discuss racing, his life while racing and after racing. A lot of chapters are written by Salt in his own words.

Keep you posted...

2 comments:

  1. I would think one of Walther's most memorable accomplishments was his recovering enough from his injuries in 1973 to race again at Indy just one year later. That was a horrific crash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As stated in the book, probably one of the biggest comebacks with Ben Hogans bus crash.

      Delete